Bank card fraud is a serious and growing problem. Escambia County Bank is committed to helping you provide greater security for your account information and protection of your funds. The following are initiatives the Bank has taken to enhance debit card security.
Escambia County Bank has made the commitment to upgrade customer debit cards to an EMV chip card with the latest state-of-the-art security. EMV (Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) chip technology is becoming the global standard for debit card payments. EMV cards are designed to prevent theft of card information that was possible by skimming with the older magnetic stripe type cards.
jhaPassPort Fraud Center
The jhaPassPort Fraud Center helps identify dynamic fraud methods as they occur and prevent additional debit card fraud. This managed fraud service leverages the FICO Falcon platform which deploys neural network technology and cardholder profiling to identify fraud patterns as they occur, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The FICO Falcon platform is an industry-leading solution to reduce fraud losses.
High-risk transactions are identified and acted upon by a fraud analyst who contacts the cardholders to verify the legitimacy of the transactions. If fraud is confirmed, the debit card is immediately disabled to prevent further activity. If the cardholder is not available to confirm the activity, the debit card is set to a "blocked" card status pending further investigation.
Communication between the Fraud Center and debit cardholders has three methods: SMS Text, Email, and Automated Dialing. The automated dialer takes cardholders through a series of steps to verify the cardholder and the suspect transactions. If you confirm fraud with the voice response system, you will be connected to a fraud analyst.
To ensure that the Bank has accurate contact information, please inform us if you change your phone number or email address.
smsGuardian™ Text Alerts
- smsGuardian™ is a service that uses text messages to enable you to monitor debit card activity occurring on your account and respond immediately to fraudulent activity. When enrolled in smsGuardian™ you will receive a text alert each time your card is used for:
- International transactions
- Single transactions for $200 or more
- Card not present transactions
- Five or more transactions in 24 hours
- Transactions that are declined
- You will receive alerts sent to your cell phone for enrolled debit cards. The number of alerts you receive will be based on your card usage and settings determined by the Bank.
- Before alerts can be sent, you must confirm your enrollment by successfully texting your enrollment code provided by the smsGuardian™ website when setting up a device.
- A text message may describe how to respond in order to block your card from use. If the transaction was not performed by you please reply immediately as instructed to block the card from future use. All replies must be received within 12 hours from receipt of message.
- You are responsible for any text messaging fees from your carrier, message and data rates may apply.
- Enrollments will be good for a period of one year. You will be notified prior to expiration of your smsGuardian™ account and may text a reply to renew.
Click this link to Enroll in the smsGuardian™ service! Just follow the prompts.
Additional Security Measures for Debit Card Usage
- If you will be traveling outside of the United States and plan to use your debit card, please contact the Bank at (251) 296-5356 to temporarily activate your debit card for international usage
- Do not share your PIN with anyone and do write the PIN on the card
- When selecting a PIN, do not use your birth date, telephone number, or Social Security number
- Do not disclose information about your card in response to an unsolicited e-mail or request
- When making online purchases use only trusted sites. Look for secure transaction symbols (https:// and a closed padlock icon) when shopping online to ensure your account information is protected
- Check your bank statements regularly and please contact the Bank immediately if there is any suspicious activity
- Check your credit report annually
- Always protect your debit card and keep it in a safe place, just like you would cash, credit cards or checks
- Immediately notify the Bank if your card is lost or stolen at (251) 296-5356 or (866) 546-8273